Routledge; 1st edition
The City: The Basics, an e-book written by Kevin Archer, is a PDF document that offers a concise but engaging introduction to the study of cities and city life. The purpose of this ebook is to provide a comprehensive comparison of the development of cities in the more affluent Northern Hemisphere and the less developed Southern Hemisphere by drawing on a variety of perspectives. These perspectives include political, cultural, economic, and environmental aspects. The following are some of the topics discussed in the ebook:
- politics in the city, urban planning, and the plight of the urban poor
- a concise history of cities, beginning in prehistoric times and continuing up through the post-modern era
- the environmental impact of city living and the concept of environmentally responsible communities
- the distinctions made between “global cities” in the Northern Hemisphere and “megacities” in the Southern Hemisphere
- This ebook is the perfect place to begin for anyone who is interested in any facet of urban studies or cities in general because it includes a lot of graphics and maps, as well as ideas for further reading and websites to visit.
The book ‘The City: The Basics' takes on the challenging, multifaceted, and multidisciplinary subject of ‘the city' in a manner and style that allows students of any ability to take away something new from the experience. — Bernadette Hanlon, Ph.D.; Ohio State University; United States of America