Mariann M. Harding, Julie S. Synder, Barbara A. Preusser
Mosby; 5th edition
Use “Winningham's Critical Thinking Cases in Nursing: Medical-Surgical; Pediatric; Maternity; and Psychiatric 5th Edition (PDF)” to develop your critical thinking and clinical reasoning skills. This book contains 150 realistic case studies from the four major clinical practice areas of nursing: medical-surgical; pediatric; maternity; and psychiatric/mental health nursing. Each case discusses a frequent issue and is based on actual clinical experiences. It was prepared by registered nurses who are considered clinical specialists. Integrated content on nutrition, pharmacology, and diagnostic/laboratory tests will urge you to think critically about all areas of care. All of the cases have been thoroughly rewritten and updated to reflect current clinical practices. Additionally, this fifth edition places a greater emphasis on patient management, and it adds new tasks that focus on documenting and communicating with patients. In addition, the revised format and questions for the NCLEX® Examination assist nursing students prepare for success on the NCLEX® Examination so that they can offer quality and safe patient care.
- Cases are presented in the following three parts according to the 3-part organization: 1) Medical-Surgical Cases; 2) Maternity; Pediatric; and Psychiatric Cases; and 3) Other/Advanced Cases; the latter covering key topics such as multi-system disorders and emergency situations. Cases are broken down into three categories: 1) Medical-Surgical Cases; 2) Maternity; Pediatric; and Psychiatric Cases; and 3) Other/Adv
- The realistic case study approach integrates instances drawn from genuine clinical experiences to assist with the identification of changes, the anticipation of potentially complicating factors, and the initiation of curative therapies.
- When you go on to more challenging instances, having experience with increasingly complex cases will serve as a solid foundation for you to build upon.
- Your ability to recognize and successfully treat common conditions seen in pediatric patients has been improved with the addition of two additional case studies in the pediatric population.
- New questions in the format of the NCLEX Examination have been introduced throughout the entire book. These new questions include multiple choice, chart/exhibit, prioritization/ordering, and dosage calculation problems.
- A greater number of problems at higher levels demand clinical reasoning rather than merely memorization and recollection of material.
- A focus on patient management not only reinforces the kind of clinical decision-making that is required in the clinical arena, but it also mirrors the kinds of questions that are included on the most recent iteration of the NCLEX Examination.
- The text has been updated to include over 25 brand new pictures and visuals, such as ECG strips, anatomical diagrams, lab/diagnostic test reports, and medicine labels. These new additions can be found throughout the book.
- In the new documentation and communication activities, you will be asked to document pertinent patient information or to utilize the “SBAR” communication approach to communicate patient results to the physician. Both of these tasks are important in the medical field.