Addison-Wesley Professional; 1st edition
Game Programming in C++ : Creating 3D Games is a practical; hands-on approach to programming 3D video games in C++. C++ remains the key language at many leading game development studios. Since it’s used throughout their enormous code bases; studios use it to maintain and improve their games; and look for it constantly when hiring new developers. Modeled on tech guru Sanjay Madhav’s game programming courses at USC; it’s easy; fun; practical; hands-on; and complete.
Step by step; you’ll learn to use C++ in all facets of real-world game programming; including 3D and 2D graphics; physics; audio; AI; user interfaces; and much more. You’ll hone real-world skills through practical and real exercises; and deepen your expertise through start-to-finish projects that grow in complexity as you build your programmig skills. Throughout; Sanjay Madhav pays special attention to demystifying the mathematics that all professional game developers need to know.
- Set up your C++ development tools quickly; and get started
- Implement basic 2D graphics; vectors; game updates; and game physics
- Build more intelligent games with widely used AI algorithms
- Load and save levels and binary game data
- Implement 3D graphics with OpenGL; matrices; shaders; and transformations
- Integrate and mix audio; including 3D positional audio
- Efficiently respond to player input
- Build user interfaces; including Head-Up Displays (HUDs)
- Detect collisions of objects in a 3D environment
- Improve graphics quality with anisotropic filtering and deferred shading
Whether you are a working developer or a computer student with little prior knowledge of C++ and data structures; Game Programming in C++ will prepare you to solve real problems with C++ in roles throughout the game development lifecycle. You will master the language that top studios are hiring for — and that’s a proven route to success.