Academic Press; 2nd edition
The Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the ebook Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers 2nd edition is written for students taking their first course in modern physics. Later chapters dive into the fundamental physics, beginning with a concise and concentrated explanation of the historical events that led to the formation of current quantum theory. Streamlined content, chapters on semiconductors, the Dirac equation, and quantum field theory, as well as a robust pedagogy and supplemental package, including an accompanying website with computer applets, all help science students understand the important information more effectively. The applets offer a credible account of the energy levels and wave functions of electrons found in crystals and atoms, respectively. Applets such as Hartree-Fock and ABINIT are helpful resources for researchers looking at the characteristics of atoms and semiconductors.
- Includes thoughtful consideration of fundamental topics like transition probabilities, reciprocal lattices, crystal structure, and the Bloch theorem, all of which are essential to any discussion of lasers and semiconductor devices.
- systematically develops contemporary ideas regarding quantum mechanics, and applies these ideas in a coherent manner throughout the text.
- Includes more challenging exercises and puzzles at the conclusion of each chapter.
- Provides a clearer understanding of each essential principle by way of a straightforward illustration and example wherever possible.
- Contains a number of appendices that students can use as a point of rapid reference.
Please be aware that the PDF version of the book is all that is included with this product. There are no additional access codes, online access, or anything else included.