Stuart H. Ralston, Ian D. Penman, Mark W J Strachan, Richard Hobson.
Elsevier; 23rd edition
More than 2 million doctors; medical students; and other health professionals around the world have owned a copy of Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine 23rd edition (PDF) since it was first published. Now in its Twenty third Edition; this PDF etextbook describes the clinical features and pathophysiology of the most frequently encountered conditions in the major specialties of adult medicine and explains how to investigate; recognize; diagnose and manage them. Taking its origins from Sir S. Davidson’s much-admired lecture notes; Davidson’s has endured because it keeps pace with how modern medicine is taught and provides a wealth of information in a concise; easy-to-read; and beautifully illustrated format. This etextbook will serve medical students and readers everywhere as a core textbook that integrates medical science with clinical medicine; conveying practical advice and key knowledge in a highly accessible and readable format.
- Clinical Examination overviews summarise the main elements for each system and now feature in the nutrition; biochemistry and dermatology chapters.
- The opening section describes the fundamentals of immunology; genetics; infectious diseases and population health; and discusses the core principles of clinical decision-making and good prescribing.
- A new second section on emergency and critical care medicine encompasses envenomation; poisoning; and environmental medicine; and introduces a new chapter on acute medicine and critical illness.
- The third section covers the major medical specialties; each thoroughly revised and brought fully up to date. 2 new chapters on maternal and transition/adolescent medicine complement the one on disease and ageing.
- A new chapter on medical ophthalmology has been included as a direct response to students’ requests.
- Presenting Problems sections provide a clear pathway for the assessment of and approach to the most common complaints in each specialty.
- Practice Point summaries detail the practical skills that college students and junior doctors must acquire.
- Emergency boxes emphasize the core knowledge needed to manage acutely ill patients.
- In Old Age; In Pregnancy and In Adolescence boxes highlight differences in the practice of medicine in these patient groups; and illustrate the interfaces between medical; obstetric and pediatric services.
- The textbook is extensively illustrated; with over 1000 clinical photographs; diagrams; and radiology and pathology images.
- A new internal text design for this 23rd Edition provides a simpler and clearer presentation of the various categories of text boxes.
The global perspective is enhanced by an International Advisory Board of experts from seventeen countries; and by expert authors from around the world.